In the image above, Barbara Hutton wears Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna’s emeralds set in a tiara.
The emeralds were once part of a sumptuous parure given to Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna in 1874 as a wedding gift from her father-in-law, Tsar Alexander II. After her death, the parure was sold by her son Grand Duke Boris Vladimirovich of Russia.
Unfortunately, the original parure is no longer intact. While pieces from the emerald parure come up at auction from time to time, many of the emeralds’ whereabouts are unknown.
Wartski: The First One Hundred and Fifty Years by Geoffrey Munn
Jewels of the Romanovs: Family & Court by Stefano Papi